Sunday, April 3, 2011

Winmor and WL2K... email with NO internet!

Too cool. I just completed several email contacts using RMS Express and my ham radio in our emergency response trailer. What makes this so cool is that I didn't use the internet.  I sent the messages as I would with any email program (Thunderbird, Outlook etc.) but instead of the internet I sent it via RF. 

I connected my computer to my Yeasu FT100 via an interface called SignaLink USB. This interface has its own sound card and connects from my USB port to the data port on the radio. I can do RTTY, PSK31, PACKET, and now obviously send/receive email.

I first got it to work indoors on my home station using the same interface but with my Windom antenna and my IC751 radio. Then I used the FT100. Both gave excellent results. When I finally got the FT100 working I took all the radio equipment to the trailer and hooked it up last night. I could see a few signals on the monitor but could not connect. Today (Sunday) I put up my 20/40M Inverted "V" antenna, and bang... connected on the first try. Success!  I sent several emails. I'd like to try to get a simpler antenna put together for the training in May, but if not, this will work well. I built it for field day 2 years ago and it has served me well.

My goal for the scenario in May is to have our team operate at its best, and #2 is to have radio email work in an emergency situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment